Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy Birthday To Me

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME (on turning 60 in 1984)
I'm now 85, in 2009

The hair is getting grayer, the heels I wear are lower,
The lens are somewhat stronger, the knees are moving slower.
The joints are getting stiffer, hearing's growing weaker,
My temperament has mellowed to the point of being meeker.

This coming birthday is the one I most sincerely dreaded;
I'll not be getting better: it's all downhill I'm headed.
My fortitude or stamina cannot hold on much longer.
I know my tennis grip will never ever get much stronger.

But think of all the good points as I keep on growing older:
there are fewer problems now, for me to have to shoulder.
Afraid of getting wrinkles? They're already there!
A mini-skirt or ankle length? I don't even care!

Seems to me the time has come to sit back and relax.
I've earned a rest! Don't work so hard! Those are happy facts.
Then why do I run faster every day to get things done?
'Cause getting older just gives me more time for having FUN!

UPDATE -- June 2009

Now that I am eighty-five, my hair is even grayer.
Every day, as I arise, I say a "Thank You" prayer.
When I worried, 'way back then, about my downhill slide
I didn't know the ups and downs would be a joyful ride!

I've seen some wondrous changes in this awesome world of ours:
The moon-rides and the health care. The loss of our Twin Towers.
Now I DO sit back and rest, and I don't run at all.
Although I'm dancing slower, I've really had a ball !

No comments:

Post a Comment